NYC Comic Con geek-gasm

Boing Boing tv visits New York Comic Con, the largest comics convention on the Eastern seaboard, and we find games, geeks, and graphic novels galore. Our guide through the event’s board game realms is Dr. Gregory Wilson, author and fantasy fiction professor at St. John’s University of New York, who teaches us little-known tools for game quality evaluation. “You can tell this one is awesome because of the weight of the box — it’s probably about 15 pounds,” he says as we pass one title. “This one takes two hours just to set up! Clear evidence that it, too, is awesome.”

Part two of today’s episode is a little alternate reality game of our own design — we like to call it “Count the Cosplayer.”

BONUS AWESOMENESS: In related news, Paddy Johnson of Art Fag City blog says: “I set up a small online quiz asking people to label unidentified visitors as either art fair or comic-con attendees. There are a few surprises in there, which keeps it interesting.”

This entry was posted in funny. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to NYC Comic Con geek-gasm

1. Stefan Jones says:

I look forward to more segments! I actually went to a comic book convention today (Stumptown Comic Fest, in Portland) and had fun buying seventy bucks worth of strange little comix.

#13: I still have a few of those complex old boardgames. They still tug at my mind even though I haven’t opened them up for years. An you know, the other day while walking the dog I found myself DESIGNING board game mechanics in my head. Something involving chits representing magic books allowing Junior sorcerer characters to advance to Master status. Thing is, I have no clear idea what game these are for. There’s probably a pharmaceutical for this condition.

@stefan jones, yes indeed — it was too much for one humble little segment. we’ll hit the comics part soon!

3. License Farm says:

I was there! And I’m pretty sure my best friend is the Speederbike Scout on the left at 3:36 (#18; you can always pick him out of a crowd because he’s about five feet tall).

I hope we might get at least one more bbTV out of the show that ventures beyond the RPG booth. That’s an important component of the geek experience, one which has always been a void in my geek cred along with videogames post-1990, but the show is far bigger than that.

4. the_boy says:

@ 14 – I know exactly the feeling.

5. Gareth Branwyn says:

I loved the gameboard geek. I loved the way he kept interrupting himself with “OMG! Look at this!” That’s how I would have been in that place.

When I was really into sci-fi board and wargaming, I was particularly attracted to games that were ridiculously complex, with craploads of parts. I would cajole some poor friend to come over and play, but by the time we’d set up the board and pieces and I’d explained all the rules, it was usually time for them to laeve. Many of my “favorite” games, I never actually got to play more than one or two moves. Still, strangely satisfying.

6. cjovalle says:

Ah, Twilight Imperium. Having to call a game after 12 hours and having still had a good time must be worth some kind of accolade. :P

7. wigglin says:

This is so cute. Stuff likes this makes me love boing boing.

#3′s criticism is laughable. Lighten up dude.

8. johnpspeno says:

I enjoyed Dr. Gregory Wilson’s enthusiasm for those games. I’d like to see him do more of that.

9. Stefan Jones says:

I’m an old time gamer. One of the books I’m reading this week is “Hobby Games: The 100 Best.” Steve Jackson Games is editing a manuscript of mine now. I like seeing people enthuse about games.

But you know, when you’re covering a comic convention, I wanna see comics! I was hoping to see guys squatting behind their tables pitching their latest indie title.

10. loopdesign says:

I was surprised at how inarticulate he was in explaining WHAT was cool about the games. How does the weight of a game determine it’s inherent coolness? It seems like there could have been much better content from CC, no? G4′s coverage is much cooler (for reasons beyond weight and number of pieces)Back to the drawing board boing boing.

11. the_boy says:

*nerdgasm*

That was awesome. That was me at 14. Heavy games = lots of pieces = so much potential for a game that the sheer scale of what could happen in said game is immense. It’s the fun potential where, instead of discarding the toy to play with the box, it’s building a shrine to the heavy unopened box because the possibilities of what is inside, and the standard geek inflated expectations of those contents, makes the whole thing, in theory like the coolest thing on this earth ever.

Greater weight = greater real basis for horrendously unrealistic expectations. Long set-up time is good similarly because it allows for the same level of expectation, while playing with the toys, without the immediacy of the game ruining the experience.

12. Talia says:

I must say, the “the end” photo at the end of the quiz almost looks NSFW ;p

13. Scaramangad says:

Err, isn’t the URL at the end of the video for the San Diego Comic-Con International, and not anything to do with NYCCC?

Actually NYCCC seems kind of cool; I don’t remember that much gaming stuff at CCI.

14. DoctorW says:

Glad people enjoyed it! I may have a bit TOO much enthusiasm sometimes, but what can I say–I like board games. As for the weight of the game box issue, I totally agree with comment 4. And if you don’t happen to get why weight = inherent coolness, there might also be a teensy weensy bit of parody in my explanation. Possibly. ;)

15. Marrz says: